Rain chaos threatens the whole weekend

Bad weather in Montreal: Rain showers are expected throughout the Formula 1 weekend. Verstappen and co. could get wet, especially during the race.

Rebecca Bauer

Rebecca Bauer

Formula 1 Department

28 years old, born in Styria. F1 fan since childhood. A weakness for caffeine, cake, traditional race tracks and epic national anthems.MORE

An umbrella and rain tires in your luggage can't hurt in Montreal, Photo: LAT Images
An umbrella and rain tires in your luggage can’t hurt in Montreal, Photo: LAT Images

Marmots, the Wall of Champions and bad weather: Formula 1 is visiting Canada for the ninth race of the season. In 2023, Max Verstappen took pole in qualifying amidst rain chaos and won the Grand Prix. This year, too, a bad weather front is looming. Rain already on media Thursday.

Friday (FP1 and FP2):
Just in time for the first free practice session (click here for the schedule for the whole weekend) at 1:30 p.m. local time (7:30 p.m. CET), bad weather is coming, but it will stay dry in the morning. The weather forecast promises a 30 percent chance of rain, which will increase to 50 percent by the end of the session. But as of now, it’s only light rain, no cloudburst.

It is likely to remain cloudy between practice sessions before the next wave of rain arrives for the second free practice session at 5 p.m. (11 p.m. CET). Temperatures will be a pleasant but cool 17 to 21 degrees, with wind gusts of up to 39 km/h from the southwest.

Saturday (FP3 and Qualifying):
Saturday is also expected to be rainy. It will be dry and slightly sunny in the morning, but by the third free practice session at 12:30 (18:30 CET) there is already a 70 percent chance of rain, again with strong winds from the southwest at times.

Unlike last year, the rain tires are unlikely to play a role in qualifying. At 4:00 p.m. (10:00 p.m. CET) the probability of bad weather is almost zero, the sky will be cloudy and the sun will even shine through in places. However, a short rain shower is likely to pass through again in the evening.

A picture from better times: In 2023 Max Verstappen won the race in Montreal, Photo: Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool
A picture from better times: In 2023 Max Verstappen won the race in Montreal, Photo: Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Sunday (race):
The premier class is facing real weather chaos on Sunday. 10 percent chance of rain at the start at 2:00 p.m. local time (8:00 p.m. CET), which increases to 90 percent during the 70 laps of the race on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Temperatures are also rather cool at 19 degrees, and the wind is suitably uncomfortable with 30 km/h gusts from the southwest.

It’s not just the weather that’s likely to be exciting in Canada. The last three races in the premier class have seen three different winners from three different teams: Lando Norris, Max Verstappen and Charles Leclerc. The focal points ahead of the race weekend in Montreal.

© Motorsport Magazine


F1 World Championship standings

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *